Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Table of contents
- The Lighted Bridge quilt block is revealed here as Month Four of the River Heritage Mystery Quilt!
- Lighted Bridge on the River.
- Lighted Bridge
- Overview of the Quilt Block
- Printer Friendly Version
- Another coloration of the Lighted Bridge Quilt Block
- Another beautiful view!
- Finally, share your block using #riverheritage on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
- Want to start at the beginning? Here’s the Introduction to River Heritage Mystery Quilt Pattern.
- River Heritage Month Five
- Visit Creative Bee Studios on YouTube!
- SHOP more than 50 quilt patterns that use both beautiful sides of fabric!
The Lighted Bridge quilt block is revealed here as Month Four of the River Heritage Mystery Quilt!
Firstly, the Lighted Bridge quilt block was designed directly from the night time view of the Bill Emerson bridge that connects Cape Girardeau, Missouri to East Cape, Illinois.
Lighted Bridge on the River.
Notably, this bridge was opened in 2003 when it replaced an old two-lane bridge near the same location. The Bill Emerson bridge is a beautiful landmark which thousands of people cross each day. I designed this block to depict this nighttime view of the bridge, with its reflection in the Mississippi River. The bridge is 4,000 feet long, 100 feet wide, and is illuminated with 140 lights.
Four flying geese units make this bridge and it’s reflection. The design depicts the lighted cables of the bridge and their reflection in the river. Accordingly, the three stripes of color indicate the sky, the bridge roadway, and the water.
Overview of the Quilt Block
Lighted Bridge uses light fabric for the two bridge cables, medium for the lighted night sky and reflected cables, and dark for the bridge roadway and water.
Definitely, you’ll want to watch the placement of values in your fabric choices. Naturally, water is often depicted with a dark value. The reflection and above water could be in the same color family, but with differing values. Finally, take care that the bridge lights and sky have enough contrast between them. Learn more about VALUE HERE.
Another coloration of the Lighted Bridge Quilt Block
Similarly, this version has good contrasting values.